- Supports healthy bile flow in the gallbladder
- Supports bile production and helps maintain healthy liver function
- Supports healthy lipid metabolism
- Supports healthy bowel functioning*
- Contains a combination of key ingredients from Cataplex A, Cataplex F, and Betafood
- Excellent source of vitamin A and iodine
- Good source of vitamin B6
The gallbladder is a storage location for the bile that’s produced by the liver. Bile plays a key role in fat digestion and removal of waste from the body. 20-25 million Americans are affected by concerns of the gallbladder, including its efficiency and ability to function correctly.1
Beet (Root) and Beet Leaf
Beets, a main ingredient in A-F Betafood, contain betalains and betaine, which are two phytonutrients that have been linked to various health benefits. Betalains are water-soluble, nitrogen-containing pigments,2 and betaine is an N-methylated amino acid.3 Betalains are natural antioxidants4,5 found in certain plants including red beets.6 They have been shown to support antioxidant activity,4,5 as demonstrated by emerging research on betanin’s (a major betalain compound) ability to inhibit lipid peroxidation.5 Additional research has also shown that betanin may bind to circulating LDL and protect it against oxidation as demonstrated in an ex vivo-induced oxidation study.6
How A-F Betafood Supports Your Gallbladder
Gallbladder wall thickness may be an indicator of the overall health of the gallbladder, and wall thickening may be an indication of gastrointestinal and liver concerns.7,8 In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 42 healthy adults completed a study with A-F Betafood for 12 weeks.9R The change in gallbladder wall thickness from baseline to week 12 differed significantly between groups (p = 0.0497) with a decrease in thickness observed in the A-F Betafood group after the 12-week supplementation. This study suggests that A-F Betafood improves gallbladder function in adults who are at risk of gallbladder insufficiency.9
1. Stinton, L. M., & Shaffer, E. A. (2012). Gut and liver, 6(2), 172–187. doi:10.5009/ gnl.2012.6.2.172Azeredo HMC (2009). Int J Food Sci Technol 44:2365–2376.doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2007.01668.x
2. Craig SAS (2004). Am J Clin Nutr 80:539–549
3. Butera D, Tesoriere L, Di Gaudio F, et al (2002). J Agric Food Chem 50:6895–6901. doi: 10.1021/jf025696p
4. Kanner J, Harel S, Granit R (2001). J Agric Food Chem 49:5178–5185)
5. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2017, 65, 4, 675–689 Publication Date:January 18, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b04208
6. Tesoriere L, Allegra M, Butera D, Livrea MA (2004). Am J Clin Nutr 80:941–945
7. Gabriel J. Runner, Michael T. Corwin, Bettina Siewert, and Ronald L. Eisenberg. American Journal of Roentgenology 2014 202:1, W1-W12
8. Afamefuna, Simore. “Gallbladder Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, andTreatment.”U.S. Pharmacist – The Leading Journal in Pharmacy, 20 Mar. 2013, http://www.uspharmacist. com/article/gallbladder
9. Evans, M., Guthrie, N., El-Khodor, B. F., Metzger, B., & Varadharaj, S. (2020). A Whole-Food-Based Health Product (A-F Betafood®) Improves Gallbladder Function in Humans at Risk of Gallbladder Insufficiency: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Nutrients, 12(2), 540
Two tablets per meal, or as directed.
Nutrients & Ingredients
Each Serving Size (2 tablets) contains: Total Carbohydrate <1 g, Total Sugars <1 g, Vitamin A 450 mcg RAE, Vitamin B6 0.3 mg, Iodine 40 mcg. Proprietary Blend 550 mg: Organic SP beet blend (organic swiss chard juice powder, organic beet (root), organic beet (leaf) juice powder), organic beet (root), organic carrot, organic sweet potato, organic oat flour, calcium lactate, rice bran, magnesium citrate, bovine liver, bovine prostate, nutritional yeast, bovine kidney, organic alfalfa (aerial parts), organic flaxseed oil, bovine orchic extract, bovine liver fat extract, d-alpha tocopherol (vitamin E sunflower), and sunflower lecithin. Other Ingredients: Honey, acacia gum, modified corn starch, calcium stearate, vitamin A palmitate, prolamine iodine (zein), ascorbic acid, sucrose, and pyridoxine hydrochloride.
Please consult the actual product label for the most accurate product information.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Whole Food Nutrient Solutions
Since 1929, Standard Process has been the visionary leader in whole food nutrient solutions. We apply systems thinking to holistic nutrition that empowers practitioners to transform lives. Dedicated to the whole food philosophy of our founder, Dr. Royal Lee, our goal is to carry on his mission to provide nutrients for the body that are as close as possible to how they are found in nature.
Our products include foods that are prepared in a way that safeguards their nutritional value. The majority of these ingredients are grown locally on our certified organic farm and may require chopping, dicing, juicing and/or drying for use in our products. The resulting whole food ingredients are then added to a formula that may include whole food extracts, animal tissue extracts and concentrates, botanicals, whole food isolates and synthetic ingredients. These highly complex combinations contain a variety of elements designed to trigger trophic effects that support the body’s healthy balance and wellness.*