HEALTHY SHAMROCK SHAKE
Remember Shamrock Shakes from McDonalds? Saint Patrick’s Day is approaching and what better way to celebrate than with a Shamrock Shake? It took quite some digging on google to find the ingredients in the “real” thing, but here’s what we found…
Milk, Sugar, Cream, Corn Syrup, Natural Flavor, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Glycerin, Natural Flavor, Xantham Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Yellow 5, Blue 1, Nonfat Milk, Liquid Sugar, Whipping Propellant (Nitrous Oxide).
While it may be delicious, the shake is filled with fake color, preservatives, corn syrups, and gums… Fortunately, we went on to create the perfect healthy shamrock shake recipe and we’re so excited to share it with you! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 + 1/2 cup milk or non dairy alternative
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- ~4 scoops of vanilla protein powder (we used Veg-E Complete)
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1 cup of ice
- pinch of fresh mint leaves (or peppermint extract)
- maple syrup or honey to taste
- cacao nibs (optional + topping)
- dropper of chlorophyll (optional + adds more color)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
This recipe yields about 24 oz. The protein powder we used contains organic pea protein, organic pumpkin seed protein, and organic sesame seed protein to provide you with all nine essential amino acids. We couldn’t recommend a more nutrient dense protein, especially if you follow a vegan or plant-based diet. Use this link for $5 off protein!